Monday, April 2, 2012

Lydia, Poem

This is a great poem that I read in my Themes in Literature book.  My mom and I always crack up at the end of the poem. I really like the poem because it is so true!

                                                      Of the Vanity of Earthly Greatness


The tusks that clashed in mighty brawls
Of mastodons, are billiard balls.

The sword of Charlemagne the Just
Is ferric oxide, known as rust.

The grizzly bear whose potent hug
Was feared by all, is now a rug.

Great Caesars dead and on the shelf,
And I don’t feel so well myself.

               ~Arthur Guiterman

3 comments:

  1. I like the part about the bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, though it surprises me that he didn't make it longer. Maybe he really started to feel ill, and had to excuse himself. :P

    ReplyDelete