Monday, September 19, 2011

Grace- The Story

Katherine was curious and compassionate and so one day she resolved to go up to the Princess Fern's window to bring her food. She threw a rope up to her window and started the long climb. When she reached the window she climbed in and called out, "Hello?" She saw a woman stand up and turn around from a high back chair and she was not prepared for what she saw...

At first she saw nothing, heard nothing, and then there was shriek of fury, and all of a sudden a large black shadow flung itself upon her, knocking her to floor!

Katherine hit her head upon the stonework, and for a second she saw stars, but shaking her head she brought herself back into focus, and well for her that she did, for at that moment the shadow came rushing at her again, this time with a large staff in her hand.

Katherine, who was light and quick, sprang up and to the side, so that the heavy staff crashed harmlessly into the wall. Now Katherine took the offensive. Before Fern could send another blow her way Katherine leaped forward and caught her uplifted wrist. She could see nothing of the Princess's face, for it was covered in a heavy tangle of black hair.

The princess struggled wildly, and for a moment there was a violent battle going on in the middle of the room. But Katherine's cool moves and strength won out, and finally she managed to throw the exhausted princess to the floor.

Katherine stepped back a pace breathing hard, and she very slowly went to retrieve the staff, just in case the princess decided to try to use it again.

But there was no need, for now Fern had thrown herself full length upon the floor and was sobbing like a woman possessed.

"Gone, gone! It's all gone! My own selfish pride, that stupid maid, oh! My skin, my beautiful skin, ruined! All I ever had, my beauty, gone! And they are glad, yes, they are all laughing at their foolish princess who is locked in a tower! "

Katherine stood in the corner in silence. She stood thus for so long, that finally the princess raised her hair covered head and looked about her. Seeing Katherine in the corner she stood up, and then leaned against her desk, trembling so hard that she could hardly stand.

Katherine took pity on her, and moving gently across the room, she pulled out a chair and helped the princess to seat herself in it. Then, because she did not know what to say, she turned around and began tidying the room, which had been horribly wrecked in the fight.

Princess Fern sat watching her move about the room, straightening the rug, rearranging the furniture in a more attractive way, and stirring up the embers of the fire. Finally, she spoke.

"Who are you? One moment you are a maid of steel, the next, you are a fairy of lightness and ease? Why have to you come to my tower where I locked myself up so that none may look upon my countenance." Katherine turned her solemn face upon the princess.

"'I cannot speak in the eloquent tongue that you use my lady. As for who I am, what does it really matter? I am someone who is here to help you if you will give me the chance. I will tell you this, my father is a maker of shoes. And I was present on the castle grounds the day that you had your accident." The princess stood up and stormed over to the window, still not revealing her face.

"Ah! And so I suppose you saw the look of delight upon people's faces when I had damaged my face, and when I was locked in this room."

"I saw many anxious and worried looking people. I cannot say whether or not they were angry, sad, or happy. Their feelings were their own. As for my feelings, I have been watching this tower from my window for over a month. And daily I have seen a rope let down and a basket of food lifted up. I finally decided that it was time for me to come myself."

The princess made no reply, so Katherine bravely went on.

"I must ask, why my Princess, have you locked yourself in here?" The reply was given in a mournful and despairing tone.

"Foolish girl! Have you not heard? My beauty is spoiled forever, my face is now a wretched sight. And I will suffer none to look upon it."

"None? Or yourself?" The Princess's shoulders jerked upright.

"Ah, you think I am hiding from myself? Well once you have seen my face you will hardly blame me. Behold!" And shaking back her hair, she turned around so that she could face Katherine.

It took all of the self control that Katherine possessed to keep from starting back in horror, for the princess's face was a wretched sight indeed! The burn had never been properly treated, and now the skin was trying to grow over the scar, creating a hideous and disgusting face that frightened one to look upon.

But upon further scrutiny, Katherine could see that the deformation was not permanent. In fact, for she knew something of natural healing, with a little bit of scraping and poulticing, the princess's face could be made smooth again, with only a red line remaining to tell the story.

However, Katherine said none of this. For she had a greater purpose and lesson in mind. So instead she replied quite casually,

"I do not think it is as bad as you make it out to be. For indeed, my grandfather had a face like that, he had been hit in the face with a wagon harness, and it had healed up in just such a way. But I never saw my grandfather with fear and loathing, I always greeted him with love and delight. It is you that have made yourself out to be wretched and miserable. And it is you who must change that if you ever want to leave this tower again."

The princess's face turned white with fury at this bold speech, and with a low cry she grabbed a knife from the table beside her, and rushed at Katherine at full speed!

Katherine cowered back against the fireplace, and her hand desperately grabbed for something to defend herself. Ah! She felt the handle of a bucket of ashes. Katherine tensed her muscle as the princess rushed across the room towards her, a bare knife in her hand...


3 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, Jess, you are up again. And remember gals, we have to bring in the hero and the villain while learning moral lessons from our heroines.

    Wow this is fun!

    ReplyDelete