Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Jessica~A Frost-bitten Parable

"What in the WORLD?" I know, I know...it's a weird title..but you will see what it means by reading further.

Grace is the one that actually came up with the idea for this, but this really did happen the other night. (By the way Grace, thanks for the idea! I never would have come up with it myself!)

First, I will have to give you a little background information before I tell you the story.

Our Rooster, Boss (You wanna know why we called him that?) is the most prettiest rooster I've ever seen. Ever since we got him as a chick, I've been intending to enter him into the county wide fair that is held every summer in town. I was very sure he would do good because of his natural beauty and somewhat pretty disposition. I've been babying him and feeding him to get his weight right and special treatments to make his feathers extra shiny.

So, I think it was Sunday night, the night that it was soo cold, that my mom happened to go outside to look for our old mamma cat to bring her inside. She looked all around and couldn't find her so she went into the chicken pen to see if she was feasting on some old chicken scraps. She didn't find the mamma but instead, Boss with three other hens. It was way past the time that they would have all gathered in. ( we later found out that the wind blew shut the door, trapping them outside) Not only was Boss huddling in the position to block the wind from two of the hens, but he was also spread out on top of the third hen, who by the way was very warm!

My mom took them into the chicken house and closed the door, counting extra times to make sure no more were left outside.

Not much was thought of except for when the next day, when she went to open the door and feed them. One look at Boss and she saw that majority of his comb had been frost-bitten. He was not in pain, it wasn't infected thankfully but after we e-mailed a couple of friends that are experts on chickens we found out that because of the perminate blackness on his comb...Boss would no longer be show quality.

To say all that, I'll get to my main point. Even though Boss is not human and can not think about others only by instinct, he still felt that wind and could, at any time have given up and found shelter. We, as humans should, as the bible says it, love our neighbor as our selves.
And that....is my little "Frost-bitten Parable. :)
Oh, and as a foot-note, I have one other rooster-not as pretty- but still eligible to show in the fair.


Thanks Grace!!

1 comment:

  1. Aw man! That is even more touching than the first time that I heard it. I told mom about it, and she almost teared up. Beautifully written Jess!

    ReplyDelete