Thursday, May 19, 2011

Jessica~I Know That My Redeemer Lives!

I know that my Redeemer lives
Glory Hallelujah!
What comfort this sweet sentence gives
Glory Hallelujah!

Chorus:
Shout on! Pray on! We're gaining ground!
Glory Hallelujah!
The dead's alive, the lost is found,
Glory Hallelujah!

He lives, he lives who once was dead,
Glory Hallelujah!
He lives, my everlasting head,
Glory Hallelujah!

Chorus

He lives, all glory to his name!
Glory Hallelujah!
He lives my Jesus, still the same,
Glory Hallelujah!

This is an old song from the early nineteen hundreds. It was originally a song sung by African Americans. It's solemn tune and inspiring melody brings me to tears every time I hear it.

These are the things that comes to my mind when I read these verses.

I imagine slaves, being worked to the bone. Mistreated, suffering, ill and tortured. No mercy comes no matter what. They plead for grace, yet are ruthlessly punished. Torn from their family, one thing gives them hope. This sweet sentence that fills their head: "I KNOW that my Redeemer lives!"

I imagine a small child who's parents are taken, or maybe even killed. Crying and sold, he remembers the lullaby his mother sang. "I KNOW that my Redeemer lives! GLORY Hallelujah!"

I imagine a young girl, longing for her new husband, yet knows that he will never return. One thing gives her life. "I KNOW that my Redeemer lives!"

I imagine rumors of freedom as their hearts cry out: Shout on! Pray on! We're gaining ground!

And then those, who witnessed the long wanted, long prayed and cried for, freedom. And in a triumphant cry they sang with joy: "The dead's alive and the lost is found! GLORY HALLELUJAH!!"



If you've never heard this song and have the time, please look it up, listen to the words of those from the past and thank our Saviour that we can live in a place where we are free. Glory Hallelujah!

2 comments:

  1. I love that feature about African or African American music. There is a hope and vigor to it that just brings life.

    Who wrote that song? Like, where could I look it up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to search around. But I'll post the link when I find it. Sorry, I should have done my studying :)

    ReplyDelete