Thursday, March 24, 2011

Jessica~Thankfulness

So, the other weekend, some of our youth group and I and my family, went to go and help at the local food distribution. (If any of you don't know what that is, it is a small building, usually a church, where food-AND TONS OF FOOD- is donated and you help pass it out to poor people)

I've always liked helping those in need, or just talking to someone when they need talking to, so I was really excited about doing this.

It lasted for about 2 and a half to 3 hours, but it didn't really seem that long. And the actual experience doesn't have much to explain. All you really do is pass out food in a organized fashion kinda like a factory.

Anyways, my point is, is that seeing all those needy people, seeing the hurt and pain in their eyes, and smelling the stench of loneliness really hit home for me. At one point, an older man came through who was obviously a veteran. His face was worn with many years of pain but his eyes seemed to speak a message. I'm really not sure what the message was, but I knew, right away, that the message was from God. My heart cried out in sympathy, though I knew that right now, all I could do was hand out a can of beans and pray with all my heart for this man.

I was almost overwhelmed at the feeling, and as the day went on, I figured out what it was.

God was reminding me of how blessed I am, and how thankful I should be. We may not be the richest girl in town, but I certainly am extremely blessed.

The man smiled, and I returned the smile and nodded my head in gratitude to the vet.

As you are reading this, please remember how much our Saviour has blessed us. And please, spread that blessing weather it is by handing out food, or giving a warm smile.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, so true Jess. I experienced a bit of that myself recently. Clothes is really where it hits me, I mean, you look around and see some people who are dressed in really thin, dirty, worn clothing that doesn't really match. Then I look at myself and see that I am warm, comfortable, and I look nice in my clothes. Since we girls often feel like our clothes are not enough, it really struck home with me just how blessed I am. Even if my clothing is all second hand, it is still nice, modest, and fashionable. Thank you God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I totally agree! That is a big problem I struggle with is my appearance. When it comes down to it, God'll still love you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete